Thursday, December 13, 2007

FreeBSD

I tried it few years ago and I didn't like it that much then. It was a bit different from Linux I am used to and quite unfriendly. I gave it another try and seems like it's staying. It's up and running and running quite well. I can even feel the vibes of real Unix heritage and reliability. Just took some time and patience to read the handbook and everything became pretty clear. I was surprised how easy it was to rebuild the whole base system including kernel from cvs just by few commands. Gentoo Linux is built from sources also but it's not as easy and I didn't like it that much. I'm more into rpm-based. Maybe because of my lazy nature though having little troubles might be too boring sometimes. Deploying a mail server will make me busy for awhile as I tried once on my Linux box and I didn't succeed. Everything seemed right but I still couldn't receive mail. I guess I screwed up MX record in DynDNS making the entry pointing to an IP address. This time I'll take my previous mistakes into consideration.

No comments: