Thursday, January 03, 2008

Up And Running

It wasn't very hard to deploy a web, NFS and mail server on FreeBSD. Loads of documentation helped a lot and the system is way less scarier than I thought. Lars advised me to take a look at OpenBSD as it supports more architectures, doesn't allow BLOBs and non-free software and has better track record for performance and security as he says. I have no reason to doubt that so I gave it a try. It was a bit more pain in the ass but I still managed. The only thing I couldn't do is to compile Python 2.5 from ports tree. Python 2.4 compiled just fine. Now it's serving two accounts and two domain names. It's kind of useless as I don't have proper hardware and fast enough internet connection but I'm considering renting a virtual dedicated server. The next step will be to set up a mail list software and interbreed it with GnuPG.

No comments: