Monday, November 19, 2007

Being Minority Again

I haven't felt this way since my first year in Finland. Those days I've been hanging out mainly with Finns and I didn't speak Finnish at all. And as soon as there was more than one Finn around I was completely left out of conversation cause they were speaking Finnish and only Finnish.

Russians do the same. Germans do the same. Everybody does. But I know how bad it feels. I remember those days I spent on Malta. 99% Germans, 1% Polish and me. That's why nowadays when I notice Ruxi being left out I just start "dubbing" Russian speech, translating what people are saying right after them, or just start having a conversation in English with her.

Today we picked Andrei from Haparanda who came to visit Ruxi. It was him, Ruxi, Ovidiu and me. We bought some beers and huge family kebab pizza from Sweden and went to Ruxi's place. I was bored the whole evening and there was nobody willing to translate Romanian to me. I hope it won't be this way the whole week he's here.

P.S. I'm neither pissed at you guys nor upset. Don't worry.

7 comments:

Andrei Neculau said...

don't worry - it's not going to be the last time when we speak romanian, but most probably the last time when you'll feel in minority in the next 4 days :)

ps: a bit impossible to think that you were/are pissed at us, since it felt like you have never been pissed in your entire life :)

ps2: see yuo tomorrow morning

Andrei Neculau said...

You are officially "my b-itch-logger" for the trip to Kemi - http://andreineculau.wordpress.com

Dmitry said...

What an honour!

Andrei Neculau said...

first of all, you but ruxi to link to your blog, not her blog! :)

secondly - it is an honour indeed

thirdly - you need to write about oulu - don't care how you get the info :)

Andrei Neculau said...

something happened to the previous commment - either my bad, either the laptop's bad

you linked everyone's name to his blog address, but ruxi. Ruxi links to dmitry.fi

Dmitry said...

It was equal sign missing after href that's why anchor was linked to the page itself.

Unknown said...

Belgians, try not to do the same .. =)